Saturday, January 9, 2016

My Studio


My Studio

November 26, 2015
I’ve been spending a lot of time in my studio getting ready for an upcoming art show in San Francisco.  Lately I find myself in the studio late at night when everyone else is asleep.  It’s interesting how my studio, or my “space for creating”, has become a sacred place.  Its there that I have thrown my brushes across the room in utter frustration, and where I’ve sat back and realized that the mistake that I had made earlier was a benefit to the picture I was painting.  Its been my studio chair that I have cried over situations in my life and at other times been overwhelmed by the goodness of God in my life.  My studio has become a sort of hiding place for me when I just need to get away and create.  And its been a place of discovery as I’ve learned how my paints want to be treated on the canvas and how brushes will best respond to my longings to engage in beauty. 
Yesterday my son came out to my studio to see me and screamed because it was so cold.  He asked how I could possibly be out there painting with no heat.  Its pretty simple: when you need to create, you HAVE to create!  And when you need a friend, sometimes your studio is the best friend around when everyone else is snuggled up in bed.  I've complained about not having enough space and being in a cold part of the house, but honestly, I like my studio.  It has become a place that I have already experienced so much of life in.  God, tonight as I wrestle with the next best color for this painting, thank you for this very special place that I call my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment